Champion quality assurance and quality control functions. Plan, develop, and implement techniques, processes, procedures, and systems that eliminate and prevent defective product while fostering continuous improvement, standardization and waste eliminati
Gibbs Die Casting Corporation
TITLE: Quality Engineer
DIVISION: Casting / Machining
REPORTS TO: Plant Quality Director
FLSA STATUS: Salary Exempt
Champion quality assurance and quality control functions. Plan, develop, and implement techniques, processes, procedures, and systems that eliminate and prevent defective product while fostering continuous improvement, standardization and waste elimination. Lead by example and develop a culture that embraces a quality first mindset.
ESSENTIAL GOALS, FUNCTIONS, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Facilitate and champion team development of new programs to insure that internal and external customer needs are met. (Includes development of APQP processes, Control Plans, PFMEAs, process flow diagrams, inspection standards, capability analysis, gages / fixtures, mistake proofing, etc.)
- Create & update quality documentation accordingly as required for corrective and preventative actions, process changes, PPAP & ECN approvals, waivers & deviations. This includes document control, storage and database updates.
- Assist Program Manager with new program launches to meet timelines and facilitate indirect staff within the plant to arrange and coordinate a flawless product launch.
- Be a customer focal point for communication with the customer concerning quality and delivery complaints, and process changes.
- Review and approve PPAP submissions including customer specific requirements and TS 16949 compliance.
- Champion, monitor, and attend special customer specific performance activities, report-outs, and other quality-related meetings/conferences.
- Coordinate and facilitate cross functional problem solving teams to perform root cause analysis for failures internally and those affecting our customers. Facilitate and document value added corrective/preventative actions using formal methodologies (e.g. 8-D, Shainin Red X, Critical Thinking, 5P & 5-Why principles)
- Champion containment activities for all concerns internal and external. Coordinate product returns from the customer.
- Assist Quality Manager in entering, managing and tracking complaints.
- Have up to date knowledge of all AIAG standards, TS 16949 standards, customer requirements and expectations, and monitor and enforce plant progression and regression of compliance.
· Promote continuous improvement to the quality system and procedures in an effort to increase value to internal and external customer’s processes.
- Make solid data & fact driven quality decisions. Assist and teach others in the quality decision making activities, customer requirements, gage techniques, inspection and part fit and function features detrimental to customer satisfaction.
- Assist and support each manufacturing department concerning process, quality, documentation and general input.
- Perform periodic layered audits on a scheduled basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Quality Manager.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree from four-year College or university;
and three or more years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience combined. Detailed knowledge of Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Advance Product Quality Planning (APQP), Failure Mode and Effective Analysis (FMEA), Control Plan development, Measurement System Analysis (MSA), and Statistical Process Control (SPC) and customers’ requirements to TS16949.
Communication: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret data, engineering standards, blueprints, and procedure & manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Good verbal and written communications skills with ability to communicate specifications and requirements clearly in written and drawing formats.
Mathematics: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical capability, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning and Problem Solving: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Other Training: Blue print reading, GDT, Measurement tools, SPC, problem solving, ISO or TS1649 audit training a plus.
Computer Skills: Basic web based or access data entry, Microsoft Office, SPC software
Other Requirements: Ability to perform duties under minimal supervision while exercising discretion and sound judgment. Demonstrate a professional demeanor and be team player orientation. Demonstrate Leadership abilities, coach, train, and follow up to develop personnel. Be willing to travel to our customers with minimal notice.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations, and other Required Training: ASQ-CQE preferred.